Since 2013, more than £3.5 million has been invested into Cambridge through a range of projects managed and delivered by Cambridge BID. Without Cambridge BID, this level of investment simply would not exist.
Pride & Promotion
Over the five years, we have:
• Organised and delivered a range of large-scale events including the Christmas Lights Switch On, Night Market and Outdoor Cinema.
• Printed more than 400,000 Christmas magazines promoting Cambridge as THE shopping destination for the region.
• Printed over 600,000 free guides promoting Cambridge as a premier destination - highlighting the retail, cultural, entertainment and food & drink sectors.
• Produced 100,000 free pocket maps, which our City Ambassadors have distributed.
• Developed a new consumer website to guide people around the city.
• Organised a variety of seasonal and sector-based events including Independents' Week, Cambridge Style Week, Christmas window dressing contest, Easter promotions and Valentine's Day competitions.
Safe & Clean
Achievements have included:
• Covering the cost of Cambridge Business Against Crime (CAMBAC) membership for over 100 BID levy payers.
• Deep cleaning 50 streets a year across the BID area.
• Introducing a seven-day-a-week Rapid Response service to 'clean up the after the night before', including the removal of bodily fluids, broken glass, bird excrement and cardboard from rough sleepers.
• Working with CAMBAC, we sponsored the Taxi Marshal service which, over five years, has enabled 125,000 people to get home safely from the city centre at night.
• Supporting the Cambridge Street Pastors - a voluntary organisation that patrols the city streets each Friday and Saturday night to help those in difficulty.
• Supporting the City Council with the launch of Street Aid, an initiative which has so far raised £15,000 to help rough sleepers get back into work or find housing.
Welcoming & Vibrant
Project delivery has included:
The City Ambassadors, who have:
• Helped more than 200,000 people since their introduction in 2013.
• Reported an average of 1,500 environmental issues to the appropriate authorities every year.
• Conducted an average of 3,000 business visits every year.
Christmas decorations for the city, including:
• 26 different LED lighting schemes across 22 main streets.
• A 30ft Nordmann fir tree in Market Square and at The Grafton.
Our ongoing support to businesses has resulted in:
• £240,000 of savings being identified through our Cost Saving initiative and £140,000 of savings being realised by BID area businesses, of which 90% are independents.
• Over 170 businesses being independently mystery-shopped twice a year, putting Cambridge in the Top 4 for customer service across the country.*
• A series of customer service-related workshops being organised and run twice a year.
• The set up and collation of monthly Cambridge Performance Reports, monitoring footfall, sales index, visitor, transport, parking and City Ambassador data.
• The launch of our informal monthly Cambridge BID drinks event, which gives businesses the opportunity to network with each other.